Dear Kindergarten Families:
Welcome to Wedgwood Elementary! We are so excited to get to know you and your child over the next school year. This is an exciting year to join Kindergarten in Seattle Public Schools because for the first time, we will be able to offer all-day Kindergarten to ALL students at no charge through the WaKids Initiative.
I want to support each child and family as they transition into Kindergarten with us, so I am writing to provide you with important information and calendar dates for the start of school (Updated information is in red):
Upcoming Kindergarten Events:
Taste of Kindergarten: Monday, August 29th
- The purpose of this special day is to pull small groups of 10 to 12 students at a time, so that teachers can facilitate structured activities. This gives us some indication of how to best group children into classes.
- During this time, Parents are in the cafeteria for an informational Q&A session, get the chance to meet other parents, fill out necessary paperwork, but will not participate in or observe the student activity time.
- Parents and children, please arrive at your assigned time in the cafeteria -
- Session 1: 9:00 – 10:00 am Student Last Names A-K
- Session 2: 10:30 – 11:30 am Student Last Names L-Z
Kindergarten Meet and Greet: Thursday, September 1st (5:30 to 6:00 pm)
- Class assignments will be posted on a bulletin board in the school’s front lobby upstairs at 5:30 on 9/1
- This is an opportunity to meet teachers and to see your student’s classroom.
- This is where you will sign up for a WaKids Family Connection meeting with your child’s teacher (see below). Families who do not attend the Meet and Greet will be assigned one of the remaining times and will be contacted by the Office to confirm your appointment.
- Please come ready to identify how your child will be getting home the first full week of school
The Meet and Greet is followed by a PTA Kindergarten Play Date from 6:00 – 7:30pm on the playground
Kindergarten WaKids Family Connections, September 7th – 9th (Times TBD)
- There is no school for Kindergarteners during September 7th – 9th, this time is reserved for WaKids Family Connection meetings.
- This is an opportunity for Kindergarten teachers, students, and parents to meet for 20-30 minutes to get to know your child better. This is a chance for parents to share their hopes and dreams for their child and their education, provide additional insights into your child and their learning needs, and for teachers to get to spend some one-on-one time with students.
- Please arrive at your schedules appointment (scheduled at the Meet and Greet) on time and with you WaKids “Introducing Me” brochure complete (you will receive the brochure at the Taste of K or you can print one from the Kinder Corner on the Wedgwood website).
Start of School:
The first day of school for Kindergarteners will be Monday, September 12th at 7:50am. We will provide you with more “First Day” information at the Taste of K, but here is a brief “Start of School Q&A” to get you started:
How can I find out more detailed information about Kindergarten?
What about School Supplies?
- At the start of the school year, teachers will collect $70.00. This covers a $40.00 per student supply fee plus a $30.00 per student fee for DreamBox Math (a math computer program student will use at school and can be used at home – more info to come). Please make check payable to Wedgwood Elementary.
- Students are expected to come with their own labeled wheel-free backpack, Plastic two-pocket folder, and lunch box.
- Please talk to your teacher about scholarship options.
Are there any additional dates of which I should be aware?
- Summer Play Dates for new families—all take place on the Wedgwood school playground:
- Thursday, September 1st —5:30 to 7:00 pm (Kindergarten Meet & Greet from 5:30-6:00)
- Back to School Barbecue—on the Wedgwood Playground
- Tuesday, 09/06/2016 at 5:00 – 7:00pm
- School Pictures
- Friday, 9/23/2016
- Picture Retake Day 11/02/2016
We will have lots more information to share at the Taste of K on Monday, August 29th. I’m looking forward to meeting you all and having a GREAT year at Wedgwood Kindergarten!
Doug Ouellette, Principal